At the Backside Learning Center, we are devoted to building community and enriching the lives of equine workers and their families.
As we all know, 2020 has been one of the most challenging years of our lifetime. When the pandemic hit in March, the backside shut down and hundreds of workers were left without work.
1. We immediately offered emergency food assistance deliveries, distribution of over 5,000 donated masks and other supplies during the first three months of the pandemic.
2. Our staff helped kids and parents navigate on-line school, facilitated communication with schools and teachers, and provided assistance to numerous families to obtain donated devices and low-cost internet.
3. We became part of a new collaborative, Colectivo Esperanza (Hope Collective) and worked with the Churchill Downs Foundation to obtain emergency cash assistance for families with no safety net, who have been impacted by COVID-19.
4. We converted betting windows in our building to walk up service windows in order to continue to serve the backside community daily, and meet the increased need.
5. We hosted a socially distanced outdoor STEAM camp over the summer, providing youth with bikes and helmets to attend.
6. We moved English classes online through Facebook Live, which a majority
of our students frequently use.
7. We became a JCPS Learning Hub to support our students during the school
day at our satellite site.
8. We expanded their work providing public health education and support to the
Backside Community with a COVID-19 support specialist.
We've done so much, but in the next months we foresee continued and increased need in our community.